Search This Blog

Follow us on Facebook

Saturday, November 26, 2011

DVD releases for Christmas 2011


The top two DVD releases so far for Christmas 2011 are Cars 2 and Kung Fu Panda 2.  Both are strong visual second films from both Pixar and Dreamworks.  I took my kids to see both of these movies over the summer and they enjoyed them both. 


Cars 2 - I don't happen to like the original Cars very much, I may just be completely sick of it because its been viewed by my kids a billion times.  Which may also be the case for the creators.  Cars 2 focuses more on the beloved side kick Mater from the original film.  It is a 007 - esque movie with a World Cup race that is going to be sabotaged if Mater and his new secret agent team can't put a stop to it.  Boys will love the new cars and lucky for you, they have lots of toys out to get them screaming in the aisles at Target.  

The theme of the original film (slow down and smell the roses) seems to have been thrown out and replaced with a new one, which I think was go fast, but don't forget about your friends.  No wait, maybe its: accept your friends for who they are?  In the original film the focus on the Americana and love of vehicles gave the visuals great depth and I hate that they scrapped that.  Nonetheless, the movie is beautiful to look at. 

This movie has a lot of guns and explosions.  It also has a lot of toilet humor and a scene in a Japanese bathroom that, well, your going to have to explain on the way home.

Rated G
Warning, not all G movies should be G.  Pixar seems to get away with this more than anyone.  When I have to explain 6 times in a movie if a car “died” or not to my four year old – it’s too violent for a G in my book.
Best for boys age 4 - 7
Metacritic score 57/100



Kung Fu Panda 2 – I went in to this movie not expecting a whole lot and was pleasantly surprised.  It is a darker, richer, and deeper movie than the original.  The visuals are so amazing I think my husband and I agreed it would be worth owning on Blue-Ray (not too many of those at our house, trust me). 

In the movie, Po and company learn that the murderous Lord Shen of Gongman City is creating a fearsome new weapon (large gun or canon) that could mean the end of kung fu. They attempt to stop him, but the Po crippled by fear and memories linked to this villain. Po must learn what really happened to his parents and find true inner peace.

Lots of Violence and the bad guy is making a super weapon.  Not a whole lot of crude humor, some hard themes for young children.  Adoption and Orphan discussions are very thoughtful in this film. 

Rated PG
Best for ages 6 and up  (Must admit I took my 4 year old, but he’s never liked anything age appropriate, so use your best judgment)
Metacritic score 72/100

No comments:

Post a Comment